Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympic Hiatus


Wow, the Olympics are really distracting, and time consuming. I have been attached to my TV at the hip for the past week, watching every gasp of every athlete who has either won or failed. So far, I've been quite impressed with our Canadian athletes, and impressed with my own ability to bet on sports I know nearly nothing about (most notably curling). I have gone a marvelous 29/50 in my picks so far these games and have given myself a little pat on the back for betting against Johnny Weir (mens' figure skating) and selecting Christine Nesbitt to win gold for our country.  Other than that, here are a few of my favorite moments from the competitions so far:



1. Alexandre Bilodeau wins gold on Canadian soil

As cheesy ans cliche as it is having this long-awaited event as my favorite moment so far... it is my favorite moment so far.  Not only because we finally won gold at home, but Bilodeau's reaction has to be one of my favorite of all time.  Dude was just sittin there, chillin on a couch, when all of a sudden he's like, 'hey, I won!'  Great celebration and genuinely heart-warming for an entire nation.  Isn't that what the Olympics are all about?




2. The Americans' opening ceremony Ralph Lauren outfits

Sure The Bay has been doing a great job for team Canada's uniforms, but these team USA uniforms from Ralph Lauren are something else.  Now if they could just fix those ugly-ass snowboarding outfits with the fake jeans...



3. Back to Back Shootouts

Not sure which game was more exciting, watching Canada hold on for the shootout victory against Hiller and the Swiss, or Slovakia's upset of Russia.  Both prove that hockey at the Olympics is acquiring a more competitive field.



4. China's Gold and Silver in Pairs' Figure Skating

Not only was it exciting to watch Zhao Hongbo and Shen Xue storm back from injury and retirement to create a beautiful and flawless performance, but the Russians finally lost.  Makes me happy when I think back to the Sale and Pelletier days...




5. This commercial

Wins the award for best Olympic commercial hands down. Just the fact that I haven't gotten sick of it yet (like that stupid Canadian CTV Olympic theme, Believe something-or-other) is worth noting given the amount of time I've spent watching TV; and believe me, I've watched A LOT of TV. OK, time for the mens' skelton finals. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment